Monday, October 30, 2006

the end of the saga

Dear friends (and customers!) of Bead Haven, thanks for the support and help given during this period. Many have left comments and emails regarding the infringement of copyrights and it has been really heartening to know that there are people who do appreciate the designs over here at Bead Haven.

The current episode / saga / drama (whatever you will want to call it) is closed. The site owner in question has removed the offending post and picture and I will call it a day. I admit, I am not really satisfied with the reply given but I will leave it at that. However, should there be any future occurence, I will definitely take more action than this. I will also not be removing the screenshot because I do not want it to seem like some blatant false accusation.

The facts of the situation are...
  • I beaded the original design, posted it for sale here and sold it
  • (according to you) someone took the picture off... apparently gave to you who beaded to remake and who in turn posted it online as your own work and at a higher price (?!). I did not make any accusations as to whether the rest of your work are your original designs or not, just focused on MINE which I know as a fact.
  • I did accidentally reveal your site but have since amended it. You have also since changed your layout so it is no longer recognisable by the screenshot designs.
  • I am carrying on with my beading and am asking for all your eyes to keep a look out for such infringements on other sites.
What is going to change over here?
  • a new post on copyright infringement... is going to come up soon (which really should not affect all of you!)
  • photographs are going to be watermarked (sorry about the ugliness...!)
  • in short, nothing.
I want to continue my beading. It is a hobby of mine and while I am mighty peeved to have such an incident taking place here... I am carrying on.

N / CC, if you are reading this... I won't be replying your email. I think in terms of ethics we are on two different planes so there is no point in trying to find a common ground. Besides, you have already taken all steps you can on your side to make sure you cannot be identified by the screenshot anymore.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

well said!

Simone said...

Good on you for moving on! :) What goes around, comes around sooner or later.

Take care and happy beading!